Welcome to Paul Sundberg's ongoing Mideast adventures! I won't publish every day - or every week - so don't get mad if you come back two weeks in a row to find the same old post. (Dates of postings move chronologically backwards, so the most recent posting is at the top, with older postings as you scroll down.) My email is (still) pasundberg @ yahoo.com

Sunday, May 30, 2004

Blues at the Poles


I just had to share this:


I was logging on to my usual work music this evening at my office (www.radio-locator.com) and noticed that "Antarctica" was one of the "countries" available for web-streaming radio (radio over the internet). So, on a lark, I clicked on Antarctica and found one station: A.N.E.T.


Format? BLUES!

(I guess that's the main request for people in 24-hour darkness!)


Yes, Virginia, there is a radio station at the (south) pole!


My modus operandi for writing the dissertation (one of them) is to GET OUT OF THE HOUSE (I find I get little done there - too many distractions) and bike to my ESL office, totally empty these days after 5:00. I work better with some instrumental music in the background - usually jazz. So I go to www.radio-locator.com and select jazz and then one of several stations in the Southern California area - KKJZ ("K-jazz") in Long Beach, and KCLU in Santa Barbara and Thousand Oaks. Jazz, I find, has the right blend of mildly upbeat tempo, no distracting voices, and non-competitive volume (unlike, say, heavy metal). It's like muzac without the bad music!


At the moment, ANET is playing Dick Barrett and Paul Anastasio singing "Hang Your Head in Shame". Sounds like cowboy-western mariachi music. Not a major blues duo, as far as I've ever heard.


KHOBAR UPDATE:


Thanks to a "rescue" operation by Saudi security forces Sunday, 22 new dead were added to the 9 foreigners killed by the original militants: 8 Indians, 3 Filipinos, 3 Saudis, 2 Sri Lankans, 1 American, 1 Briton, 1 Italian, 1 Swede, 1 South African and 1 Egyptian. 25 more were wounded. One militant was wounded and captured, and 3 got away. Not the greatest score. But then, apparently, the militants were going door to door in the compound shooting Westerners and letting Muslims and Arabs go. (I believe that's called racism in other contexts.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home