Welcome to Paul Sundberg's ongoing Mideast adventures! I won't publish every day - or every week - so don't get mad if you come back two weeks in a row to find the same old post. (Dates of postings move chronologically backwards, so the most recent posting is at the top, with older postings as you scroll down.) My email is (still) pasundberg @ yahoo.com

Saturday, May 16, 2009

DEFINITE GO ON JAPAN

Last posting I said I was waiting to hear back from the UAE college to decide whether to accept Kwansei Gakuin University's offer. Well, the Higher Colleges of Technology made it easy: thanks for your application but we regret ...

As I keep telling myself: All you need is ONE job for September. And the Japanese university made an offer, so when my options were settled with the UAE rejection, I went ahead and sent the letter of acceptance Wednesday.

Next step: a contract to sign.

FREE AT LAST!

My one-year contract with the American English and Culture Program ended this past Friday (May 15) with a whimper. Gave my final exams early in the week, handed in grades Thursday, and did final duties Friday. I'd been looking forward to the day for months! But I've tried to take full advantage of my ASU benefits before they run out. Last week I had an eye exam and picked out some new glasses as part of my vision plan. And Friday, the last day, I stopped in at the university computer store to take advantage of my faculty "academic" discount on software, ordering a multi-application package from Adobe that contains Photoshop, the main photograph modifying program. Fortunately, I can continue my health coverage (at my own expense) for a few months this summer as part of state employees severance options.

CRACK HOUSE

I have found myself unwittingly in a crime scene here in town. Not me, but my hairdresser, who ran a salon just across the street from campus, was arrested along with her receptionist (male) for running a crack ring out of their salon. About a month ago, I had an appointment and called up the day of, and the receptionist was very mysterious about having to cancel, and "oh, you might want to try another hair salon meanwhile - we can give you some recommendations." Very odd. A month later, I stopped by the now sign-less salon to see what had happened. Two other subcontractor hairdressers were still working, and one of them told me about the drug bust. I just can't imagine I sat in Tracey's chair numerous times chatting idly while she cut my hair! (Was there a huge crack supply in the basement under my feet the whole time?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home